Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Jonathan Edwards Winery

During Lindsay's visit, we took her to the Jonathan Edwards Vineyard, a local Connecticut winery. Kevin and I have wanted to visit this local winery for some time now, and this was the perfect opportunity. I figured with Lindsay visiting Kevin wouldn't be tasting alone. ;)

The winery is nestled on top of a hill in North Stonington among 48 acres of magnificent vineyards. They have farm vineyards in Napa, California and four varietals here in Connecticut.  They pride themselves on being able to showcase the best wines from both the east and west coast. 

In Napa, during harvest season the grapes are handpicked and then immediately begin their transition into wine. The young wine is then brought to Connecticut in refrigerated trucks to begin their 12-18 months of barrel aging and bottling. Jonathan Edwards is able to offer Napa Valley Chardonnay, Merlot, Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, and Petite Sirah. The Connecticut grown wines are Chardonnay, Gewurztraminer, ( pronounced Give-ertz-dameanor ) Cabernet Franc and Pinot Gris.

An interesting story on Jonathan Edwards the winemaker.  He started his career as a speech therapist, however decided this was not his passion in life. He moved to Napa and spent a great deal of time learning all about wine making. He later bought this winery, formerly known as Crosswoods Vineyards, which was originally a dairy farm.  

As you can see from the pictures below, it still looks like a dairy farm.



Lindsay and I out front

Kevin and I before entering the tasting room. 


The lower barrel room

Lindsay and I overlooking the barrel room below.

The vines will start growing in the summer and be harvested in October. 


View of the winery from the vineyard. 



My cute husband with his tasting. 


After our tour and tasting, we drove into downtown Stonington to get an appetizer. Kevin and I have dined at the Skipper's Dock before and loved the view from the outside decks.  We thought that Lindsay would enjoy some seaside snacks, unfortunately they do not start serving on the deck until the weather warms up a bit. 



Yummy, mini lobster rolls. Notice that the sandwich picks are toped with lobster claws. 

Kevin and Lindsay enjoying another glass of Jonathan Edwards local grown white wine.

I highly recommend touring the Jonathan Edwards winery. Starting soon, Connecticut will begin their wine passport.  Kevin and I did it last year and it was a ton of fun.  If you are able to visit 16 of the 30+ wineries in CT you will be entered into a drawing to win some pretty amazing prizes. While we were at Jonathan Edwards we actually met a couple who won the grand prize in 2009, a 10 day trip to Spain.  Kevin and I tried to complete the passport last year, however I became pregnant. Who knows, maybe this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment